Friday 17 September 2010

A quarter of a century for Back to the Future

As Back to the Future celebrates its 25th anniversary, Catherine Shoard examines just what it was about this genre-defying time-travel caper that captured her generation's imagination.

For me, a time before Back to the Future exists only in theory. Some films embed themselves so early and deep in your psyche they take on the status not of works of art, nor even cultural relics from your childhood. They feel like vital organs. Remove their influence and the whole structure constructed on top could collapse. Erase my early exposure to Back to the Future and I fear I'd disappear from existence, like Marty McFly at the Enchantment Under the Sea ball in 1955, when his parents still haven't kissed and his fingers slip from the frets of his cherry-red Gibson 335 guitar and start to fade in front of his eyes (a scene I laboriously immortalised in poster paints at primary school)...

For more click on the title.